If you were arrested, fingerprinted, and charged with an offence in West Vancouver which resulted in a non-conviction finding in court (see list below); you can apply to have your fingerprints and photographs destroyed.

There are varying waiting periods that must expire before you can begin the destruction process for a non-conviction finding in court (holds start from date of disposition):

  • Stay of Proceedings     – one year
  • No Charge Laid           – one year
  • Withdrawn              – three months
  • Dismissed              – three months
  • Acquitted              – three months
  • Not Guilty              – three months

In addition, the following offences have a minimum waiting period of five years: high treason, potential terrorist activity, first- and second-degree murder, manslaughter, aggravated assaults, and sexually-based offences.

How to make an application

You can apply for fingerprint and photo destruction request by completing a WVPD Request for Destruction Form. We require two pieces of current, Canadian government-issued identification, one of which must have a current photo.

You can apply for a fingerprint and photo destruction request by completing a Destruction Request Form. Please ensure you include a copy of your current government issued photo ID.

The form can be dropped off at our front counter,
which is open Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm (closed weekends and statutory holidays)

OR mailed to:

Records Section
West Vancouver Police Department
755 16th Street
West Vancouver, BC V7B 0B8

Each request is looked at on a case-by-case basis. All applicants will be notified in writing if the request has been approved or denied, including the reasons for denial of the request.

If a request is granted, the process will include the destruction of the following:

  • your fingerprints and photo taken upon your arrest
  • the criminal record history pertaining to West Vancouver charges ONLY, contained in the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) database held at the RCMP central repository in Ottawa

The information compiled as a result of the police incident(s) will remain in our local records management system, wherein destruction or removal is not within our policy or guidelines, and the results of the court proceedings will remain in the court’s database.

Please note that the incident and court information may be disclosed during a police record check process.


Please Note:

If you have non-convictions from other police agencies, separate requests will need to be sent to each agency.

If you have been convicted of an offence anywhere in Canada, you will need to apply for a Record Suspension. Contact the Parole Board of Canada at 1-800-874-2652 to get a record suspension application guide, or click here to download one.




Find out out to become a WVPD Police Member, join our Civilian Staff or Volunteer.


· Valid Canadian Driver’s Licence
· Valid BC Identification Card (with photo)
· Valid BC Services Card
· Valid Passport – Canadian or Foreign
· Valid Canadian Permanent Residency Card
· Current Canadian Student ID Card (for youth applicants ages 12-17) *secondary Gov’t issued ID required
· Canadian Birth Certificate
· Valid Canadian Citizenship Card
· Valid Canadian Certificate of Native Status Card
· Valid Nexus Card
· Employee Identification Card issued by the Federal, Provincial or Territorial Government (with photo)
· Old Age Security Identification Card
· Valid Firearms Licence
· Municipal or RCMP Police Identification (with photo only)